Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2018 21:16:10 +0200
From:      Paul van der Zwan <paulz@vanderzwan.org>
To:        Cassiano Peixoto <peixotocassiano@gmail.com>
Cc:        Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lightly loaded system eats swap space

Hi
I had something similar on FreeNAS 11.1 ( based on FreeBSD 11.1).
Swap was allocated and never released until it ran out.
Some time ago I set the following sysctl:
vm.disable_swapspace_pageouts: 1

That completely stopped swap allocation and I have not rebooted since, =
except for OS patching.

=46rom what I found using google this sysctl may have some nasty side =
effects when system runs out of memory,
but that has not happened on my system.

	Paul

> On 19 Jun 2018, at 19:57, Cassiano Peixoto <peixotocassiano@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I have the very same issue on many servers. Mainly on mail servers =
running
> qmail+spamassassin+clamav. I've tuned some variables on loader.conf:
>=20
> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size=3D"2G"
> vfs.zfs.arc_min=3D"614400000"
> vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"4915200000"
>=20
> But after some days, it begins eating swap and the system comes very =
very
> slow then I need to reboot it.
>=20
> My system config is:
>=20
> FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #5 r321625M: Thu Sep 21 16:01:56 -03 2017
>    root@mail.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MAIL amd64
> FreeBSD clang version 4.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_400/final 297347) (based on =
LLVM
> 4.0.0)
> VT(vga): resolution 640x480
> CPU: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2518  @ 1.74GHz (1750.04-MHz K8-class =
CPU)
>  Origin=3D"GenuineIntel"  Id=3D0x406d8  Family=3D0x6  Model=3D0x4d  =
Stepping=3D8
>=20
> =
Features=3D0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE=
,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>=20
> =
Features2=3D0x43d8e3bf<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,=
CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,RDRAND>
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-April/088727.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-April/088728.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2018-June/089094.html
>>=20
>> I sent private mail to Peter Jeremy about his issue.  I will not
>> disclose that Email here.  However, I will disclose the commits I
>> included in said Email that have touched ZFS ARC-related code:
>>=20
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332785
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332552
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r332540 (may help give =
insights)
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r330061
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r328235
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r327491
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r326619
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r326427 (quota-related, maybe
>> irrelevant)
>> http://www.freshbsd.org/commit/freebsd/r323667
>>=20
>> In short (and nebulous as hell; sorry, I cannot be more specific =
given
>> the nature of the problem): there have been changes about ZFS's =
memory
>> allocation/releasing decision-making scheme compared to ZFS on =
"older"
>> FreeBSD (i.e. earlier 11.x, and definitely 10.x and 9.x).
>>=20
>> Recommendations like "limit your ARC" are nothing new in FreeBSD, but
>> are still ridiculous kludges: tech-lists' system clearly has 105GB =
MRU
>> (MRU =3D most recently used) in ARC, meaning there is memory that can =
be
>> released back to the rest of the OS for general use (re: memory
>> contention/pressure situation), but the OS is choosing to use swap
>> instead, eventually exhausting it.  That logic sounds broken, IMO.  =
(And
>> yes I did notice the size of bhyve process)
>>=20
>> ZFS-related kernel folks need to be involved in this conversation.  =
For