Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 12:35:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        jayb@netjava.com (Jay Bratcher)
Cc:        kline@tera.tera.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

According to Jay Bratcher:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >         After 5 weeks of trying to dual-boot FBSD and Debian, I
> >         gave up.   Shouldn't be this hard, but is.
> >
> >         gary kline
>
> Just out of curiosity, has anyone ported (or tried porting) lilo to
> FreeBSD?  Lilo seems a bit more flexible than booteasy.  Better yet, has
> anyone tried running lilo under the Linux emulation?  All lilo does is
> parse a config file and write a MBR from a set of data files.  The only
> problem that is immediately obvious is with device naming conventions.
> I haven't done much with the Linux emulation, so I'm not sure how it
> handles device names.  On the other hand, I know lilo will boot FreeBSD,
> DOS, Win[95|NT], and OS/2.  There are some special requirements for
> FreeBSD, but nothing which wouldn't be considered if you were going
> dual-boot anyway.

	I was musing the same question about porting lilo;  or else
	porting BootEasy to Linux;  or merging whatever features of
	each could be merged.

	My thinking is that fdisk and other disklevel utilities
	could automate almost all of the configuration.  When
	you installed the loader you might tell it, for example,
	that you had DOS on drive 0, Linux on drive 1, and FreeBSD
	rooted on drive 2.

	Lilo does require you to fill out /etc/lilo.conf.  But there
	cannot be any errors or it dies.  I gave up with some syntax
	errors in the configuration file.... probably should've hunted
	up the code.  But by then I was tired of the mess.

	gary