Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:23:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        gw@hurleys.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dos defrag question

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996 gw@hurleys.com wrote:

> I just bought your freebsd2.1.5.  It will do what I want it to do.  I hope
> somehow,  I can return some of the favor to your organization for the
> effort you put into it.
>
> I am in the beginning stage of the installation.  You ask me to defrag the
> hard drive before creating a partition.  I have many unmovable blocks-too
> many it seems that are randomly dispersed throughout the disk.  (I have a
> very large block that appears to be virtual memory-I think that I can deal
> with that)

The 'unmovable' blocks are often caused by hidden files.  Use 'dir /ah' to
locate the files and use 'attrib -h file' to remove the hidden bit.  You
will have these if you use commercial antivirus utilities like
MicroSoft/Central Point/Norton AntiVirus which makes hidden checksum
files.  At one point CPAV had a command to delete them all -- it may
still.

> It may be easier for me to go and buy another hard drive for freebsd.

That is the easiest way to go, IMHO.