Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:54:06 +0300
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status update

hi,

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 03:36:46AM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:

> > Yep. jdk 1.4 is almost self-buildable now (except one case, but having
> > it native-bootstraped gave me optimizim that it will be fixed soon).
> >
> > Main problem now is to get working (at least basicly) awt based apps
> > and check out functionality of application that utilizies java threads.
> >
> > BTW, it would be nice if someone will send me few examples of standalone
> > java applications that heavily utilize java threads (no gui please :-))
>
> Remember the conversation we had about merging in the HotSpot code ?
Yes. Sure. As I said that I'd perefer to give people chance to take a look
on patches before starting to dig into this. In unfortunate case
merging work may take not one month.

As I already noted before first patchset for jdk 1.4 will be *UNSTABLE*
and mostly oriented to *developers* and *testers*.

> You have to do that before it's going to work or replicate that work
> yourself.
That's why I have asked for some *standalone java application* example
that *heavily utilizes* *java threads* model. I need it to make initial
testing and debugging work in this direction.

> The primordial thread is working because that's just calling main(), but
> the rest of the threading infrastructure must be glue to pthreads (or
> something like that) in a very careful manner. The linux threading stuff
> that your port is based on is pretty bogus and won't work without serious
> modification. Specifically, the same kind of modifications I did to HotSpot.
> That's why you should be using or merging in those patches. It's not
> trivial work to mess around with the internals of this compiler and I
> was very careful about making sure everything works as advertized
> including the threading system, which was all extremely tedious work.
You said it few times before. I remember it. No need to repeat it again.

> Hopefully, the differences between the 1.3.1 and 1.4 HotSpot JITs aren't
> too different.
Unfortunatelly I dig into bunch of differences. Some of them are relatively
simple (like structural changes), but some not easy to understand.

Bill, merging of your work done on hotspot is number one in my TODO after
releasing first patchset. I did not even start to do it because of my illness
and more prioritized work from my employer.