Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:00:14 -0700
From:      Steve Carter <scarter@globalcenter.net>
To:        "Jason A. Pfeil" <pfeil@nu.cs.fsu.edu>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation onto LARGE HD (10.1GB) (fwd)

Jason A. Pfeil wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Thanks for offering to help and I apologize for the "extraneous"
> information.  However, I included the information to provide all I could
> about the geometry of the drive so someone could provide insight without
> having to ask for more information.
>
> > What's the message?
>
> The message is that it can't create the slice (Too large?) is added
> afterwards.

I have seem a similar problem on most of my installs on bigger disks
(8M+), try making the slice slightly smaller, a bit at a time, until it
works.  If this is the same problem as mine then you will lose a small
(~100M) of your disk but you will get installed.

I wonder what the actual fix for this is?  On a 10G drive, my BSD
partition table looks like:

Disk: wd0       Partition name: wd0s1   Free: 105803 blocks (51MB)

Part    Mount            Size Newfs   Part    Mount            Size Newfs
wd0s1b  swap            265MB SWAP
wd0s1a  /               100MB *
wd0s1e  /tmp             50MB *
wd0s1f  /var             50MB *
wd0s1g  /usr           9100MB *

Note the 51M free.  I couldn't get the /usr slice to become the whole
remainder of the disk after creating the /, /tmp & /var slices.

-Steve