Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2019 20:06:54 -0700
From:      Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [vm-bhyve] Windows 2012 and 2016 servers guests would not stop

Victor Sudakov wrote on 2019-04-22 19:43:
>> And the implementation is pretty brutal:
>> # 'vm stopall'
>> # stop all bhyve instances
>> # note this will also stop instances not started by vm-bhyve
>> #
>> core::stopall(){
>>      local _pids=$(pgrep -f 'bhyve:')
>>
>>      echo "Shutting down all bhyve virtual machines"
>>      killall bhyve
>>      sleep 1
>>      killall bhyve
>>      wait_for_pids ${_pids}
>> }

yow.

>> I wonder what the effect of the second kill is,
>> that seems odd.
>
> Indeed.

the first killall will cause each client OS to see a soft shutdown
signal. the sleep 1 gives them some time to flush their buffers. the
second killall says, time's up, just stop.

i think this is worse than brutal, it's wrong. consider freebsd's own
work flow when trying to comply with the first soft shutdown it got:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sbin/reboot/reboot.c#L220

this has bitten me more than once, because using "pageins" as a proxy
for "my server processes are busy trying to synchronize their user mode
state" is inaccurate. i think _any_ continuing I/O should be reason to
wait the full 60 seconds.

and so i think the "sleep 1" above should be a "sleep 65".

> What is needed in vm-bhyve is the feature that if ACPI does not stop the
> guest for a predefined period of time, the guest is powered off.

i agree with this.

--
P Vixie