Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:55:34 -0700
From:      Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
To:        samuel_joy@ieee.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command like chkconfig

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:40:28PM +0530, Samuel Joy wrote:
> Is there a command like chkconfig that we use in redhat present in FreeBSD.
> I want to have a scrpt that is custom written by me to start automatically
> when the FreeBSD server boots up.

 If it's a custom script (i.e. something not from base) put it in
 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

 No need to worry about runlevels etc. It will be exectuted during boot
 via.

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<scriptname> start

 And during shutdown:

   /usr/local/etc/rc.d/<scriptname> stop

 If it's a simple enough script (i.e. you just want to start something)
 you'll be fine just ignoring params and starting whatever you need to
 start. When the system is shutdown down there is generally no harm in
 having the process not specifically "killed" via. the 'stop' param.

- Nick Jennings
- nkj@namodn.com