Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:29:42 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Herriott" <herriojr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Question to Device driver writing

Hi!

I've been interested in learning how to write device drivers for quite
some time, but I had never had the time to devote to it until now.

I was reading through the FreeBSD architecture handbook and came
across the example echo character driver.  To make sure I understand
all that's going on, I'm searching though all the header files to
understand what each thing is such as the cdevsw structure and cdev
structure.

I've come to the conclusion that the cdev structure is what is used to
store the information about the actual device I open with make_dev.  I
was wondering if there is a place in which I can find a good
explanation of the different attributes of the structure.  The header
files don't provide much insight for a newbie, so I was wondering if
there might be some other location.

On a side note, is there a good irc channel for FreeBSD driver writing
discussion?

Thanks in advance!

Jon