Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 11:18:40 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

> >Why must people become so emotionally attached to an operating system?

This is quite an interesting question.
I worked as a System's Programmer in a University in the
days of the 6th Edition of Unix, when the source was
distributed and the only licensing restriction I recall
of significance was the use of it for Document publishing,
and probably a no-liability clause for the brain-damage
you might suffer from working out how many back-slashes
to put in an nroff macro.
We did huge mounts of work on the kernel, fixed drivers,
wrote drivers, working out a careful layout of the
system on the disk - my boss re-wrote the disk driver
to allow you to write a file-system backwards for
efficiency reasons ! We had a network of PDP 11/44's and
later Vaxes, all connected by a Cambridge Ring (if anyone
has ever heard of that) with shared disk access, I even
wrote a file transfer system that would propogate files
across the network through the shared disks..eek..it
got top marks in what was known as the "aardvaark" test,
the transference of the spelling dictionary from one
machine to another (aardvaark being the first word in the
dictionary at the time).
The point of saying this is that with the source of the system
a couple of things happen. Firstly people get very interested
in writing software for the system because they have real
access to it, and people get very creative with it, and
develop  a sense of ownership, a sense you can never have with
a closed book system. Coming from a background in Dec RSX11M,
Unix was a revelation to me.
I think all of these factors are at work with Open Sourced
systems, whether it be a hobbyist at home, or someone trying
to write a driver to do this or that, or make a system more
stable, or scaleable (I will keep out of the NT versus Unix
debate, but scaleability is one thing NT *is* lacking).

Of course some systems are better at one job than another.
Since the Windows9X system is presumably dead after Windows
ME, and Microsoft systems become more expensive, perhaps
the desktop world of Open systems is at a point in history
where it can step in.

Well, just rambling :)

--
Regards