Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:55:13 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Josef Karthauser" <joe@tao.org.uk>, "Sean Chittenden" <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6 merged soon?

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 12:12:01PM -0800, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> >  Cancelling out of perl5.6 builds while doing a package install
> > in CPAN is getting a bit old... -sc
> >

> We've got some code that Anton Berezin has been working on
> to enhance CPAN interaction being committed to -current soon.
> This will make CPAN installs play nice with the ports system.
> If it works out then it will probably be MFC'd before the 5.6.0
> version is.  For people who want to run perl 5.6.0 on -stable
> now they should be able to get away with 'NOPERL=true' in
> /etc/make.conf and installing 5.6.0 by hand.
>
> What would be nice is for someone to make a port of
> perl5.6.0 for people who are running -stable.   This should be
> easier than rebuilding the make process for world :).  Any
> takers?
>
> Joe

I've taken the existing perl5 port and hacked it sufficiently for perl560.

Since perl560 will install into /usr/local, it is possible to run the two
versions in concert.  However, I'm sure there will exist situations where
this will cause problems.  pkg-descr makes it pretty clear that perl560
isn't to be used on production machines, for reasons we all know too well.

I've got a tarball of the port skeleton at
http://www.gsicomp.on.ca/oss/perl560.tar for anyone who wants to take a
look.  Please let me know of any problems (or enhancements) that it needs.
[ I haven't looked at the -pthreads / -lc_r issue yet. ]  Once it goes
through the paces I'll make it into a PR and convince a committer to work
their magic.

Note:  If you're planning on installing into something other than local,
make sure that you specify a PREFIX that *doesn't* have 'perl' in it.  If
you do, the Configure/Makefile logic will assume that $PREFIX/lib is
perl-specific (ie /opt/perl/lib) and won't add in the 'perl5' parts which we
need (ie
/usr/local/lib/perl5/)

--
Matt Emmerton