Date:      09 Dec 2001 07:11:41 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modem connection problem

Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com> writes:

>> > Somebody mentioned on this list that deleting the arp table entry
>> > of the default router of the cable modem provider (as a cron job)
>> > solved the problem.

I had not tried arp deletion but noticed severe slowdown or apparent
disconnect (except able to ping default gateway) occasionally fixed by
deleting, then re-adding the default gateway.

>> > Could this have something to do with leases being renewed (by the
>> > isp dhcp server and consequently the cable modem) and FreeBSD not
>> > updating routing tables? (I'm guessing big time here - not an
>> > expert by any means)

Sounds as if the MAC of the upstream provider occasionally changes.
Don't know enough about cable to understand it better, and problem is
gone now so can't check for sure.

>> If your cable modem provides IP, it's probably not involved in the
>> DHCP negotiations. Does your IP address change before you start to
>> see this slowdown?
>
> No new address.

Ditto. No new address was received.
IP address of default gateway did not change.
I even tried this with packet filters off, same thing.

Same timing here. Problem started when @home took over for MediaOne.
Haven't seen it in the past few days since attbi took over @home.