Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 22:43:49 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matt Behrens: Re: kernel compile problem

>I've still never gotten a convincing reason from you as to why this
>even affects -stable at all and I've probably seen about 50 bug
>reports on this so far, which is 50 too many.

This is somewhat unfair.  How am I supposed to know that you even
*want* an explanation for this change if you never, until right now,
asked?

Config gets modified a couple times a year.  We've known forever that
this is a tech support Achilles Heal.  Don't blame me just because I
MFC'ed a change that simply exposes a well known problem with our build
tools.

>Why was only PARTIAL support for cam brought in?

For the same reasons that this stuff was brought into current months ago.
The facilities are generically useful (interrupt driven config hooks,
cleaner EISA support, bus space/dma, CAM and VM SWI).  The only "CAM
specific" change was the addition of the CAM SWI handler, and that feature
is used by the DPT driver.  This allows us to keep the DPT driver
synchronized between the branches (the current driver has used the CAM SWI
mechanism for some time now).  It also facilitates my ability to provide
CAM snapshots for -stable, something many users have appreciated.

>Can we bring it back _out_ again until you're actually ready to bring CAM
>into that branch?

What, and force those 50 people to bug you again about their kernel not
building??  You must be insane.

>You've really caused a lot of needless suffering here with this change
>and I really wish you'd tell me WHY.

I think you're over reacting.  If you don't think so, have a cup of coffee,
sit down, and figure out how to fix our config dependency instead of
whining about my particular change.

--
Justin