Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:17:56 +0100
From:      Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

Thus Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
16:00:57 +0100:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 02:51:28PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> > Thus Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
> > 14:12:25 +0100:

> > > You are making the incorrect assumption that one developer
> > > working on e.g. your /dev/uxmas in any way effects the
> > > development of other "more important" parts of the tree.
> >
> > No, I didn't. I said that the work is done ineffectively as he's
> > doing underprioritized stuff. Working on higher prioritized stuff
> > would be more efficient, and would help the project even more.
>
> But he is probably working on high priority stuff.  High priority
> according to *his* priorities that is, not your priorities.

I don't have priorities on what he's working on, but the
project/community has. And as he's part of this community -- he chose
being part of it -- he should do what is best for the community. Not
what is 2nd or 3rd best. Period.

> > Given the assumption that the developer is able to do both, the Xmas
> > tree as well as importing ZFS v9 into the tree.
> >
> > (I don't see the point that when somebody is really *capable* of
> > doing both things, why should (s)he do the 'lower priority' thing.
> > If you are at the olympic stadium and you're the best sprinter, you
> > wouldn't join the marathon...!)
>
> Because he thinks the 'lower priority' thing is more fun, and doesn't
> care at all about the stuff that you happen to think should be high
> priority.

There's no *me* or *I*, there's a project/community. Should I spell
it? :)