Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:35:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        Sebestyen Zoltan <szoli@netvisor.hu>
Cc:        Jay West <jlwest@tseinc.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Merced FreeBSD??? Intel? - NOT

Actually, I was reading in a newsgroup, the VMS newsgroup I think it was,
that the PA-RISC chip is on the Merced chip.  Basically, Intel will sell
Merced's with the chip disabled (kind of like the math co-processor on the
486 SX's) and HP will sell it with the PA-RISC chip enabled so it can run
HP-UX.=20
=20
> > Keep in mind that the merced chip was not really designed or created by
> > Intel at all.
> >=20
> > It was created almost completely by HP (by the same group responsible f=
or
> > PA-RISC), with Intel as merely the production facilities. For obvious
> > marketing, competitive, and resource reasons both HP and Intel share th=
> > rights to merced.
> >=20
> Does that mean that Merced is heir of the PA-RISC design just like PowerP=
> is the heir of IBM POWER processor family's?
>=20
-------
> Sebesty=E9n Zolt=E1n <szoli@netvisor.hu>=09I'm believing that the Holy Sp=
irit is
> =09=09=09=09=09gonna allow the hand, and the foot, and
> MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR=09=09=09the mouth, just to begin to speak, and
>                                         to minister, and to heal coordina=
ted by
> =09=09=09=09=09the head.
>=20
> I use UNIX because reboots are for hardware upgrades.
>=20
>                  Kick me! Whip me!! Make me develop on AIX!!!
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

-----
=20
 We are now the Knights who say...=20
=09"Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"

----