Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 01:02:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
To:        robert t tan <rotan@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 controller

On Wed, 20 May 1998, robert t tan wrote:

[snip]

> I've set up my IRQ's fine: IRQ 5 for cdrom, and IRQ 0 for hard drive.

SCSI devices don't have IRQ's.  I'll assume you mean SCSI IDs
here.

> Drive is on the Wide cable on the controller, and the cdrom on the regular
> SCSI cable. Terminator is set ON on cdrom.
>
> I am able to run DOS fine, as long as I don't try to install the drivers
> needed for the cdrom. I talked some hours to techs support that supported
> the controler, but couldn't come up with any help so far.

Sounds like your termination is hosed.  Make sure that both the
CD and the harddrive have their terminators enabled.  Go into the
controller setup (Ctrl-A at boot) and set termination OFF for the
low 8 bits and ON for the high 8 bits.

That should solve both your FreeBSD and DOS problems.

Jack O'Neill                    Systems Administrator / Systems Analyst
jack@germanium.xtalwind.net     Crystal Wind Communications, Inc.
          Finger jack@germanium.xtalwind.net for my PGP key.
   PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD
               enriched, vcard, HTML messages > /dev/null
       Mail from netcom.com blocked until they stop relaying SPAM