Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 15:21:12 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
To:        Michel Weenink <michel@weenink.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP Stuff again...

On Wed, 01 May 2002 23:53:33 +0200
Michel Weenink <michel@weenink.com> wrote:

> Christopher J. Umina wrote:
>
> > Thanks guys, that worked great, but there's only one problem.  When I
> > have --enable-track-vars on the server never picks up variable that are
> > passed along in the querystring.  for instance:
> >
> > http://216.164.225.145:81/~uminac/equipment/
> >
> > In that I have a thing that describes my servers, but when I click a link
> > that links to
> >
> > http://216.164.225.145:81/~uminac/equipment/server.php?system=sysname
> >
> > there is no value for $system when it's run.  The whole reason I
> > did --enable-track-vars is so I can run sessions, but do I have to make a
> > session out of every page for this to work?  If so, that's kind of stupid
> > eh?  Is there another way to enable sessions?
>

> You probably ran into the 'new', more secure settings. See the Release
> Announcemnt for 4.1.0: http://www.php.net/release_4_1_0.php.
>
> You probably need $_POST or $_GET, or you can alter your php.ini to do
> it the way you were used to.

after you start a session with session_start(), try assigning variables to the builtin global session array $_SESSION rather than using the session_register() function.  apparently this is more secure than using session_register.  but be aware that in any document on which you wish to access session variables you must call session_start(), if a session doesn't exist it will create a new one, but if one is already present it will register any existing session varibles into $_SESSION.
from the php manual:
Use of $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS with PHP 4.0.6 or less) is recommended for security and code readablity. With $_SESSION or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS, there is no need to use session_register()/session_unregister()/session_is_registered() functions. Users can access session variable like a normal variable.