Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:55:47 +0100
From:      gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/3649: xlock quits on receipt of signalxx 8

>Number:         3649
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       xlock quits on receipt of signalxx 8
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD 2.2, X11R6.3 (XFree86 release 3.2A), xlockmore 3.13

	When xlock receives a signal, it exits. This is a security
	hole; if you're running on dodgy hardware or there's a bug
	in the code, the terminal can become unlocked.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Run xlock and arrange for it to receive a SIGSEGV or a SIGFPE
	or similar.

>Fix:

	xlock should not exit on receipt of SIGILL, SIGEMT, SIGFPE,
	SIGBUS, SIGSEGV.
	It should of course still exit on receipt of e.g. SIGKILL.
	I'm not familiar enough with xlock's internals to provide a
	patch and be confident that it will work.

	Of course, if there are hardware problems or buggy code
	nothing will *guarantee* that xlock will carry on working...