Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2018 01:15:34 -0500
From:      Farhan Khan <khanzf@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printing UTF-8 characters

Hi everyone,

Is there a standard way to render historically non-printable UTF-8
characters that will work across all terminals? I am trying to modify a
standard FreeBSD utility that may occasionally work with characters in
other languages. On some terminals, specifically FreeBSD running in
VirtualBox, I see question-marks rather than the expected character. I
wonder if this is the proper way to display such non-printable characters
or no?

I am not the most versed in encoding standards, so pardon any mistakes I
might have made.

Thanks,
--
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: B28D 2726 E2BC A97E 3854 5ABE 9A9F 00BC D525 16EE