Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:23:52 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help diagnosing eclipse freezes

Hey all,

I asked a similar question on freebsd-questions but got few responses.
When I start eclipse it takes 3 minutes 20 seconds to start (that's
longer than FreeBSD, x.org, and KDE combined!)  I might be able to work
with that, but the other freeze occurs during editing.  I created a
simple helloWorld java project, started typing "System.out.println" but
only got the first few characters typed before it locked up.  After
waiting a minute or two it comes back.  When it coems back I can
sometimes type five or six lines of System.out's, or sometimes only a
few characters, before it freezes up again.

I've turned off the automatic updates scheduler on startup (hoping to
shorten the startup time), and the "Auto-Activation" in the "Code
Assist" part of the Java Editor in preferences.  Neither has helped.

System details:
AMD64 3000+ based, 1gb RAM with i386 version of FreeBSD.
trisha# uname -a
FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #0:
Fri Sep  9 19:10:20 PDT 2005
root@trisha.eidolonworld:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA  i386

I have the native jdk-1.4.2p7_2 and jdk-1.5.0p2_1 installed, with
JAVA_VERSION set to 1.4 in my user's .cshrc (I had this problem before
installing jdk1.5 too).  I have eclipse-3.1.1 installed (it happened on
3.1_3 as well).

Any help in debugging/fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated,
Micah