Date:      29 Sep 2000 08:56:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: errors -tx underrun

rnera@optushome.com.au (Ryan Nera) writes:

> I've changed the nic on my gateway it used to be a realtek based card - rl0
> 10/100M 8139 chipset to compex fl100tx it has a dec chip on it but gets
> detected as an intel based 21141 card its also 10/100 it uses the dc0 driver
>
> Now I get a message saying TX underrun -increasing TX threshold.. what does
> this mean...

It means the card ran out of data in the middle of a packet, so the
driver increased the point where the card would generate an interrupt
asking for more data.  This is not necessarily a problem.

> My download speeds have dropped considerable since...

*Probably* not related.  Substantial details (including your
definition of "considerable" are needed to diagnose this.  Check out
Greg Lehey's "How to get the best results from FreeBSD-questions"
(http://www.lemis.com/questions.html).