Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 10:17:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why must I ifconfig my virtual hosts twice?

Folks,

I'm having some odd behaviour with virtual domains.  It is probably due
to having them on a 0xfffffff0 subnet.

The following method seems to work for me but I have to ifconfig each
virtual domain twice to get it to work.  The first domain I add works fine,
the second gives me an ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists.

Here is the output:

ifconfig de0 inet 199.xxx.xxx.73 alias
route add -host 199.xxx.xxx..73 127.0.0.1
ifconfig de0 inet 199.xxx.xxx.74 alias
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
ifconfig de0 inet 199.xxx.xxx.74 alias
route add -host 199.xxx.xxx.74 127.0.0.1

Each interface after the second must be ifconfiged twice to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Craig