Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:12:48 +0200
From:      Ruben <mail@osfux.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newsyslogd / pflogd : daily logfiles for pf

Hi List,

I'm running PF on some FreeBSD 11.x installs and I would very much like
to have daily logfiles containing the entries that land up in the pflog
device. I'm having trouble switching from "max size" rotation to "once a
day, regardless of size" rotation.

My pflog entry in /etc/newsyslog.conf looked like this:

/var/log/pflog      600  3    100    @T00 JB    /var/run/pflogd.pid

and after my attempted change now looks like this:

/var/log/pflog      600  30    *    @T00 JB    /var/run/pflogd.pid

but no new /var/log/pflog.0.bz2 files are created anymore. If I run the
newsyslog binary manually like this :

/usr/sbin/newsyslog -vCF

then the /var/log/pflog.* are created / rotated.

Could somebody perhaps shed some light on what I'm doing wrong here?

Any help appreciated!

Kind regards,

Ruben