Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:48:40 -0400
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        bsd@shell.coffey-web.net, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and ISP's.

At 10:03 AM 04/28/2001, bsd@shell.coffey-web.net wrote:
>Hello,
>     I am new to the list as of today. I work for a small ISP in Michigan, we
>have 2 T1's out to different providers in which we run BGP on a Cisco 3640.
>My question is this: We are looking for a way to filter traffic (if needed,
>due to an attack or similar) inbound or outbound to our network. I believe I
>could do this with a dual nic configuration on a FreeBSD machine with ipfw.
>Would the machine be able to handle the traffic? and if so, what kind of
>specs would you reccomend for a machine to do 3mb/s of bandwidth? We have a
>DS3 coming in the soon months, would the machine be able to handle even
>that? Here is a diagram (in my great ascii skills.. :/)

You might want to take a look at our FreeBSD based bandwidth management
solution. We now have DOS filters (packet/second filters) , as well as an
HTML based firewall and bandwidth management interface. Our boxes can
handle up to 100K pps and full 100Mb/s.  Of course if you have 100s of
rules your mileage may vary.

You may also want to consider running your DS3 right into the freebsd
box...You can run the DOS filters and firewall right on the HSSI line. The
problem with ciscos is that the DOS may trash the cisco (particularly lower
end models), so your external firewall wont help much.

see www.etinc.com for info. We have a new gigabit-capable box soon to be
announced for super heavy duty tasks.

Dennis