Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David David <ddavid_3@yahoo.com>
To:        root <root@webserver.get-linux.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MBR, Partition File recover

 --- root <root@webserver.get-linux.org> wrote: > [Please keep on
list.]

Yep was just thinking that, after it did not show up there :)
( I'm like a chicken with it's head cut off at the moment)

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:19:40PM -0400 or thereabouts, David
> David seemed to write:
> >  --- Joshua Oreman <oremanj@webserver.get-linux.org> wrote: > On
> Tue,
> > Apr 15, 2003 at 08:47:44PM -0400 or thereabouts, David
> > > >

> > > I assume you have a spare FBSD machine (any version). If not,
> > > connect the
> > > dead drive to a friend's PC.
> >
> > I have 5 drive's in this box so i'm going to re-install FreeBSD
> > one drive. ( Continued below)
> >
> > > Install /usr/ports/sysutils/gpart.
> > >
> > > *** In the following I assume the trashed FBSD disk is /dev/ad0
> ***
> > >
> > > Usage:
> > > 	To find partitions:
> > > 		gpart /dev/ad0
> > > 	If that fails, try this (takes *really* long):
> > > 		gpart -f /dev/ad0
> > > 		If it works and the preceeding doesn't, use the -f option
> > > 		in all calls to gpart for that disk.
> > > 	Then, when you're satisfied, to write it:
> > > 		gpart -i -W /dev/ad0 /dev/ad0
> > > 	If you want to backup the existing MBR before write:
> > > 		gpart -b /root/backup.dev_ad0.mbr -i -W /dev/ad0 /dev/ad0
> > > 	If you are sure about these partitions and don't want
> confirmation
> > > 	for writing them:
> > > 		Drop the -i option.
> > > 	To write to a file:
> > > 		Replace '-W /dev/ad0' with '-W /root/new.dev_ad0.mbr'
> > >
> > > I hope this helps!
> > >
> > > -- Josh
> > >

> > Before i do this, is there a way of making a complete copy of the
> > drive first? I can store it on another drive in the system. I've
> been
> > going through dd man page, and searching on the net, but have not
> yet
> > found a way of doing.
> >
> > Side Note: By making a copy i'm assuming if i mess this up i will
> be
> > able too just put the copy back on the drive and try again?
>
> Gpart only touches the first 1k of the disk (exactly what you lost
> :-)
>
> See the gpart man page.
>
> TO BACKUP:
> dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=1k count=1 of=/some/file/on/other/drive.mbr
> TO RESTORE:
> dd if=/some/file/on/other/drive.mbr of=/dev/ad0 bs=1k count=1

Great! thanks big time! for the info Josh.

Now hopefully i can stop freaking out! and get this finished tonight.
Think i best go for a walk first and clear my head for this :)

David