Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 11:48:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        bendede@startribune.com (Dave  Bender)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Get dynamically assigned DNS server IP address?

In a previous message, Dave  Bender said:
> How can I configure my ppp dial-out connection to fetch my ISP's DNS server when the
> DNS server is dynamically assigned?
>
> To clarify: I'm setting up my home FreeBSD machine to dial into my ISP, but the ISP (actually,
> the office) system doles out the DNS number dynamically. (From WindowsNT, the DNS gateways
> are blanked out.)
>
> For now, any IP connections from my FreeBSD machine require an absolute IP address, which
> makes web browsing darned impossible!
>
> I'd even be willing to hard code this value somewhere if I knew how to find out what it's currently
> using, presuming that it really doesn't change all that often. Does it?
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Meanwhile, I'm off to Amazon.com to order that "DNS and Bind" book....

Great book. I've met Cricket, also. Nice guy.

To answer your question. The DNS server won't be changing much, if ever.
It would be silly  for it to change often.

To find out what the server address is. Simply run nslookup on your NT.
The first 2 lines will tell you. Then you can plug that into your
/etc/resolv.conf.

Paul.

--
Don't panic, skydiving makes a lot of sense.  --Pasi Nironen