Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:54:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        <smnoldelinux@mediaone.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dual booting

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Scott Nolde wrote:

> I have a multi-boot system and wish to migrate my FreeBSD OS from ad1s3 to
> ad0s1.  Doing this wouldn't be a big deal since the actual migration is
> relatively easy.
>
> My problem is I have WinME installed on ad1s1 which lilo will boot to
> easily.  Lilo has a feature called map-drive which will fake the BIOS into
> thinking WinME is on the primary drive when, in fact, it's not.
>
> Does the FreeBSD bootloader have a similar configuration feature?  Or
> should I migrate my WinME partition over to the primary hard drive also?

Booteasy (FreeBSD's default boot manager) will handle more
than one drive, but if you're fiddling around with other
OSs that can support odd things like booting from extended
partitions, maybe the `ExtIPL' boot manager is the way you
want to go. There's source, it can be compiled on FreeBSD,
Linux, and a few odd OSs from Redmond.

Unlike most of the fancier boot managers, `ExtIPL' doesn't
require a hosting OS or its own partition; you can install
and save MBRs from a floppy. It also manages to escape the
gratuitous screen colorization and whirlygigs. This may be
a minus for some.

The last I looked, there was a DOS version of this manager
on the freebsd site (and on the 1st CD-ROM) in the ./tools
area. I'd check the homepage for the newest.

http://www.tsden.org/ryutaroh/extipl/

.cr