Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:34:44 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or OpenBSD

Damien Hull wrote:
> I've been a FreeBSD user for a while now and I love it. I'm running 4.10
> and plan on upgrading soon. I'm also an OpenBSD user but I tend to use
> it for firewalls and routers. I setup Apache and Subversion on OpenBSD
> 3.6 last week. This is the first time I have ever done anything other
> then a firewall on OpenBSD.
>
> I'm thinking about using OpenBSD on more servers. Before I do that I
> would like to know what people on the list think.
>
> Why I want to switch to OpenBSD.
> 1. OpenBSD has good security
> 2. Stable
> 3. Firewall and routing support is built in
>
> Why I use FreeBSD
> 1. Stable
> 2. Ports tree has a lot of software
> 3. I can upgrade to new versions
>
> Should I make the switch from FreeBSD to OpenBSD for my servers?

This:

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_3393051_1

concludes that all the BSDs are evenly matched. Although OpenBSD is the
obvious choice for a server. And so is FreeBSD. (I'm paraphrasing).

Use whichever you like. I believe FreeBSD performs better as a web
server, and it's just the default install of OpenBSD that has had just
one root exploit since 1921, or whenever; install ports/packages and
this changes.

But I'm just glad all the BSDs are available.

Peter.

--

the circle squared

network systems and software