Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:03:12 -0600
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RFC 1912 compliant ISP's...

From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 12:03 PM

> [ Top posting 'fixed'. ]

Thanks.  Been talking to too many MS types lately...
but in this context it shouldn't have been up there..

> On 2003-03-01 22:10, "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
wrote:
> > "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz> wrote:
> > > Hi, mostly I'm just testing
> > > my ISP's smtp service(s).
> > >
> > > The name they give out for users to use as the outgoing MTA is
not
> > > listed in the reverse zone, so I can't post to wonderful
servers
> > > like those @freebsd.org.
> > >
> > > Anybody else got service this wonderful :)
> >
> > And, since it worked I'll pat myself on the back for my
ingenuity,
> > and slap myself on the wrist for forgetting that there's a test@
> > list for just such a purpose.  Apologies.
> >
> > Anyone from SouthWest Missouri who uses my ISP, I'll let you in
on
> > the secret...
>
> It's not really a secret.  Besides, why not mail it to the list
> anyway?  This way someone who has similar problems in the future
> will find the answer in the list archives :-P
>
> You shouldn't set up your mta to forward mail directly to their
> destination when you're behind an ISP, but relay all your messages
> through the ISP's mail gateway using Sendmail's SMART_HOST feature.
>
> - Giorgos

Great idea, except this was off a laptop running a
M$ product.   I'm working on a home office, and
will have a FBSD server there someday, so
then that will be what I need to do.  But first,
build the floor, install carpet, insulate walls...

The real issue was simply that the ISP is telling us
"use Server X" when "Server Y" is actually listed
in their MX records.  So, the 'big secret' is...don't
trust tiadon.com, just use "mail" instead of "smtp"...
(and yes, everyone I know that uses them has
that name in their config....)

I was just tired of dealing with the simpletons...
passwords can only be LC alpha and numerals,
wrong MTA name in documentation, haven't
answered my email in 3 days (not even an auto-
responder...??) .  And, I just signed up two
weeks ago...

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one in the
surrounding 3 counties that would know how
to do it right....too bad I have no brain for
business, 'cause otherwise I could run an
ISP better than them, methinks.....I
guess I'm just spoiled by the amazing
amount of technical know-how around
these lists.......