Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      L Goodwin <xrayv19@yahoo.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD 6.2 to use sendmail for sending only

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

> >> Although, it is entirely reasonable to consider
> >> using Postfix instead.
> >
> > Chuck, I'd prefer to have the script handle the
> mailing so I can test
> > the script (with email send) manually, independent
> of cron.
> >
> > Still looking for specifics on setting this up and
> a bourne shell
> > script example that sends an email.  Thanks!
>
> Hmmm, why?
>
> A specialized MTA which does only one thing (send
> outgoing email),
> comforms to SMTP-related standards, supports
> authentication mechanisms,
> and more importantly does _only_ this job and does
> it _correctly_ is
> always going to be better than a local 'hack', like
> a script.
>
> Both Sendmail (part of the base system) and Postfix
> (suggested by
> Chuck), can do this and a lot more.
>
> Why do you have to "send mail with a bourne shell
> script", but _avoid_
> the tools and practices supported by the system
> already?
>
> - Giorgos

Um... I just want to pass an email message (complete
with From, To, Subject and message body) to a mail
handler (sendmail), as I stated in the original post.

Anyway, Chuck kindly provided sample code. The only
thing I'd like to do differently is to not use a temp
file to store the message. Otherwise, I'm happy.