Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:31:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LDAP authentication/serving

> 	Can anyone tell me (if RTFM, please point to an M to R ;) ) how to
> set up FreeBSD to either:
> A) Act as an LDAP server
> 	or
> B) Authenticate off of another server's LDAP data.
>
> 	The details are rather simple.  I'm about to start using MacOS X
> Server for workstation authentication at my job.  It allows authentication
> to be pulled from an LDAP server if it follows a certain pattern (which I
> have documentation for) or to serve its own data out via LDAP.
>
> 	I've never been able to get LDAP running properly off of any
> server, so I really don't know what steps to take first or how to
> structure things or even what to expect.  So any advise on how to get
> started would be appreciated.  Also, any advise on which way to control
> things (serve passwords from MacOS X Server or FreeBSD) would be
> appreciated.

Since no one answered you, I'll say that I have LDAP running on
4.1-RELEASE using openldap from openldap.org. I am using it for a company
address book and contact manager, not auth, but it works well. It's in
ports (/usr/ports/net/openldap*).

You will need to understand how schemas work and define one that is
compliant with whatever Macs want for password authorization. I'm not
doing that, so I can't help much except to say that openldap runs just
fine on FreeBSD! I have beat my way through attributes and schemas and all
that so perhaps I could answer some questions.

-Jim Durham