Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:46:43 +0200
From:      Fabien THOMAS <fabien.thomas@netasq.com>
To:        paleph@pacbell.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: bge driver issue

I've the same problems and i fixed partially the problem by bumping
the return ring count.

#define BGE_RETURN_RING_CNT     1024
->
#define BGE_RETURN_RING_CNT     2048

i dont think it is THE solution but it works better than before for me...

ppn> We have a Dell poweredge 2650 (successor to 2550).

ppn> We also saw the same problem with 4.5. I tried the current bge driver from 4.6
ppn> without success. The problem seems to be a size problem. When we ftp a small
ppn> file, things work fine. However, when we try a 18 Megabyte file, the ftp
ppn> hands and we see the problem descriped below. The linux system that came
ppn> with the hardware (from dell) worked fine.

ppn> BTW. This was occuring with a 100 Mbit link.

ppn> I have not been able to get any resolution on this. The only replies seem to
ppn> indicate that something is seriously broken with the bge driver.

ppn> Paul Fronberg
ppn> paleph@pacbell.net

>> I have a dell poweredge 2550 with which I am having all sorts of
>> nasty network problems.
>> The network interface will just stop responding.
>> I get an error message like this:
>> Jun 18 08:19:38 shekondar /kernel: bge0: watchdog timeout -- resetting
>>
>> This is using the broadcom 10/100/1000 NIC on the mother board, the
>> intel 10/100 has had similar issues but produces no log messages.
>>
>> duplex and speed settings are forced on both the card and the switch.
>> sometimes the kernel reset will clear the fault but sometimes you
>> need to ifconfig down / up the interface to get it going again.
>>
>> This box has been running fine for several weeks, it is only as we have
>> started to shift to production levels of traffic to it that it has started
>> this. Approx 30M bits/sec out and 12M bits/sec inbound.
>>
>> There was a simple ipfw ruleset on the box but I have disable that
>> just now to see if it helps.
>>

>> Googleing has given me people who report similar problems but no
>> solutions / work arounds.
>>
>> Have anyone got any suggestions as to what to do next.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> Here is the output of postconf
>>
>> bge0@pci1:8:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00d11028 chip=0x164414e4 rev=0x12
>> hdr=0x00                        vendor   = 'Broadcom Corporation'
>> device   = 'BCM5700/1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
>> class    = network
>> subclass = ethernet

ppn> with "unsubscribe freebsd-net" in the body of the message

--
Cordialement,
 Fabien                            mailto:fabien.thomas@netasq.com