Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:26:43 -0500
From:      Greg Panula <greg.panula@dolaninformation.com>
To:        Lia Maggioni <voloterreno@tin.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD doesn't find my CD-RW and sometimes my DVD

Lia Maggioni wrote:

> Venerdl, luglio 25, 2003, alle 01:45 , Greg Panula ha scritto:
>
> I don't use cable select :( I've ever used Jumpers.
>
> I've tried to change the position on the cable on the drives.... no way.
>
> :( Help :(

Jumpers for IDE devices are located on the back of the device, typically
between the IDE cable and power.

Visit http://support.wdc.com/techinfo/general/jumpers.asp
to see a picture of an IDE device(hard-drive) and jumpers.

If jumper settings aren't clearly marked on your CDRW & DVD, then visit
the manfacturer's website to find the information.

Optionally you could also check out these links for jumper settings:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~cati/jumper.html
http://hardwarehell.com/jumpers.shtml
(hardwarehell has a pretty complete list)

Good luck,
  greg

ps. this belongs more on the questions-list than -stable list.