Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:53:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, larry@studio1620.com
Subject:   Re: Pentium I box won't cold boot from hard drive!

>  I installed FreeBSD RELEASE 4.1 on an old Pentium I machine. The install =
>  went fine, but for some reason the machine will restart fine, but won't =
>  cold boot if it shutdown and turn off the power. Any ideas?

I think there were some boot block problems with FreeBSD 4.1[.1]-RELEASE.
without more details like can it boot if you use the diskette boot blocks
and manually give the boot command (for example ad(0,a)/kernel) when it
starts booting and other details as the hardware and configuration of the
machine.

I would highly suggest installing FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE.