Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:58:03 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple question

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd

On 07/06/05 03:45 PM, Efren Bravo sat at the `puter and typed:
> Hi again,=20
> =20
> I'm reading a Pdf book downloaded from freeBSD.org called FreeBSD=20
> Handbook and there I always find this references:=20
> =20
> sendmail(8)=20
> sshd(8)=20
> /etc/inetd.conf(5)  <-Which is the meaning of those numbers=20

This refers to the manpage section that would describe the utilitiy in
question.  For instance, the sendmail(8) manpage can be accessed with
the following:
man 8 sendmail

If you omit the '8' you will get the sendmail manpage from section 1
of the manpages, which describes (if you have postfix installed,
anyway) the postfix to sendmail compatibility interface.

To see what each section focuses on, see:
man <section #> intro

Also, you might find the following of interest:
man man
man apropos

HTH
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

modesty, n.:
  Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness.

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd--