Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2002 11:29:48 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "cyouse" <cyouse@nexuslabs.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail weirdness.

cyouse> I cvsupped this morning from FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE and I've
cyouse> now got some strangeness with sendmail.  I'm not entirely sure it's
cyouse> related to the upgrade but I didn't do anything else to the mail system
cyouse> today.

cyouse> I keep getting permissions errors when I invoke sendmail to send
cyouse> mail to a remote system.  From the logs:

cyouse> Apr  9 19:00:54 wind sendmail[612]: g39I0oXq000612: SYSERR(cyouse):
cyouse> collect: Cannot write ./dfg39I0oXq000612 (bfcommit, uid=100, gid=25):
cyouse> Permission denied

cyouse> It's obviously not able to write to the mail spool - but before I start
cyouse> slapping around the permissions, did I miss some major change in the
cyouse> mail system recently?

Whenever updating, read /usr/src/UPDATING and the release notes.  You'll
see that sendmail has been updated.  As far as the weirdness you are
seeing, I would guess you didn't properly add smmsp before you did an
installworld and /var/spool/clientmqueue ended up with the wrong
ownership/permissions.