Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 19:52:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Keith=20Spencer?= <bsd2000au@yahoo.com.au>
To:        dschrock@speakeasy.net, freebsd-questions@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: are virtual mail account users possible with freebsd?

Hi Daniel,
First off thanks so much for your time...I appreciate
it. The Open source world never ceases to amaze me ;^)

I checked out the
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/toaster/ tute
and I'd say 95% I could handle myself OK but there are
a couple of "unsaid" hings or perhaps errors. I wont
dare try it before I am sure I have the instructions
right.
Could I ask you a few questions?....
1) Install QMAIL:
     I presume ".... -h mail.example.com" should be My
server ?
2) VPopmail (Virtual Domain & POP)
    bla bla bla...
    "--enable-mysql-logging= ...bla bla
..=example.com" Again I presume I sub in my domain?
     "vi vmysql.h"  What do I do in VI here ??
3)Courier-IMAP
    bla bla
    " vi quotawarningmsg"  I presume I edit it to
suit?
4) Adding Mail Domains
    bla bla
   "IDENTIFIED BY 'secret';"   What goes here? a
password?
    bla bla
   "~vpopmail/bin/vadddomain example.com [password]"
again..my domain and  perhaps the password I typed
instead of the 'secret' thing?
5) OK now you're ready to... bla bla
   "Log in with postmaster, example.com and the test
password" ...You can guess my questions here I reckon!
6) Convert Multilog date stamps to human readable date
stamps...
   " # tai64nlocal <logfile> qmaillog.tmp" ...Do I sub
in something for the <logfile> thing?

I know I seem a bit dopey... but it would really help
so I dont screw up my machine.
Thanks in adavnce if you can help
Keith

>> Keith Spencer wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > I am wondering how I can add mail acocunts
without
>> > actually creating full-blown user accounts for my
>> lan
>> > users.
>> > I have sendmail on fbsd 4.7 (new build machine
and
>> > dont want to create shell accnts for all my users
>> on
>> > this new machine)
>> > Whatever help you might give me perhaps I can use
>> > webmin to add the new users... I have 600 users
>> > add.
>> > Whoa...thats a lot of work..HELP???!!
>> > Thanks so much in adavnce
>> > Keith

>> You may want to look into using qmail.  I've been
>> using for a couple
>> years and find it far easier to work with than
>> sendmail and postfix
>> (though postfix wasn't all that bad)
>> check out this:
>> http://matt.simerson.net/computing/mail/toaster/
>>
>> this will do everything you want.  Follow the
>> instructions and you'll be
>> up and running in no time.

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
- Send your seasons greetings online this year!