Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VPN choices?

I have had good luck with Open VPN, which is a port in FreeBSD. I can't say=
 I've done all that you referenced with it...Skype, etc.. But it's been wor=
king just fine for my remote network needs. I have it on a server running i=
nside of my firewall, which is also a FreeBSD server and I use NATD to redi=
rect the port needed for VPN.=0A=0A=0A=0AOn Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:09 P=
M, Dave B <g8kbvdave@googlemail.com> wrote:=0A =0AHi All.=0A=0AA question f=
or the collective.=A0  I'm asking here, as I trust the opinions of the =0Aa=
ssembled masses, over some other (perhaps) more appropriated lists.=0A=0AAn=
yway...=0A=0AI have a need for a simple VPN, to tunnel TCP and UDP trafic.=
=A0  It's the UDP =0Arequiement that's stumping me at present.=0A=0AI want =
to recreate something I did a few years ago.=A0 (Remote control my Ham =0AR=
adio station, from my desk at lunchtime, and when stuck in a hotel when =0A=
traveling for work.)=0A=0AThe VPN I used at that time was "Hamachi" on wind=
ows boxes both ends.=A0 =0ANothing wrong with it, it was easy to setup, rob=
ust, fast and reliable, and =0Acarried all protocols without issue.=A0  But=
, alas Hamachi is no more in that guise, =0Asince the '5 dot' IP addresses =
were finaly released for routable internet use.=A0 =0AThat, and the no-cost=
 personal option of service was removed by LMI who =0Abought it from it's a=
uthors.=0A=0AAll I need, is a single instance of a remote to home link, to =
tunnel UDP/TCP =0Atraffic.=A0 IPV4 only too.=A0 (No danger of my ISP moving=
 to IPV6 for home users at =0Aleast, in the forseeable future.)=0A=0ASo, wh=
at choices...=0A=0AAt the home end, I have the FBSD9.2 box ticking away nic=
ely, and I regularly =0ASSH into that and can do a lot of what I want over =
that path with PuTTY on the =0Aportable (Windows7/64) box.=A0  It "just wor=
ks."=A0  But, it doesn't do UDP.=0A=0ASo, I have to use Skype (or similar) =
for the sound path at present.=A0  That's =0Awhere the issues lie.=A0  Band=
width!=A0 Skype works OK, fine indeed here in the UK, =0Abut if either my d=
omestic management is on Skype to her sister, or here at =0Awork, people ar=
e streaming music or video at lunchtime, then our 20MEG link =0Agets satura=
ted, or if I'm out in whereverland, bandwidth is scarce (some hotel =0Asyst=
ems actively block it too.)=A0 I'm stumped.=0A=0AWhat would the collective =
recommend, for either a simple UDP tunnel (only =0Aobscurity needed for pri=
vacy, and of course no back doors) to run alongside the =0Asshd service.=0A=
=0AOr a full blown minimal VPN.=A0  The "remote" end, is a ubiquitous Windo=
ws7 =0A(64bit) laptop, that already has all the usual MS based VPN client t=
ools that =0Awork OK when traveling as I can easily get back to the office =
network.=A0  Would =0Athat carry UDP?=A0  If so, is there a FBSD service I =
can install to support that?=A0 =0ASo, not needing any extra software on th=
e laptop.=0A=0AElse, what sensible choices please?=A0  Whatever it is, it h=
as to be suitable for a =0Abear of simple brain capacity to handle, when so=
mething burps some way in the =0Afuture.=A0 =0A=0A73.=0A=0ADave B.=0A(G0WBX=
ebsd-questions=0ATo unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubs=
cribe@freebsd.org"