Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:06:33 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump levels/incremental backups

| Which means if you give a dump level of n, where n > 0, dump will
| check /etc/dumpdates for the most recent dump of at a level less than
| n. All files modified since that date are dumped.

OK, this part I got right.  I feel better now.

| > What is the purpose of the 'Towers of Hanoi' number pattern?
|
| It is a trade between backup size and the number of restores that will
| need to be done to any given point. The series in the manpage is,

ah-HA!  I get it.  That's the answer I was looking for.

|   3 2 5 4 7 6 9 8 9 9 ...
|
| For size concerns, notice that each dump contains no more than two
| steps worth of changes. Now when we need to restore, say we have a
| problem at,
|
|   3 2 5 4 7 6
|
| This point of the cycle. To restore the filesystem, we start with the
| level 0, then 1, then 2, then 4, and then 6.

OK, so level 0 is a mass backup.  Level 1 is weekly, and the others are for
each day of the week.  When a failure occurs, you start with 0  then 1.  For
the rest, and tell me if there is a simpler way to explain it, you use every
other dump that will end on the last good backup.  Either

3 5 7 9 or 2 4 6 8 9

This might be a silly question, but since there are more numbers in the
series than days in the week, does that mean you should just do a level 1
and repeat the series when you reach 9 twice?

| > Is the tar incremental backup simply based on comparing the modification
| > times of the existing files to the stored ones?
|
| Don't use tar for backups, but I would assume so. What else would you
| do?

I thought maybe there was some built-in functionality to simulate this
pattern we have been discussing automagically.  I guess I just wasn't sure
if there was another way to do it.  I was making it more complicated than it
really was  :)

I have been experimenting with flexbackup, but it seems the tar output for
some reason isn't browsable by m-commander. My goal is to have an automated
backup system that allows me to easily browse the archives if need be.  This
isn't a mission critical box, and these are more like archives than backups.
But they obviously would be good to have if I *did* have a hardware failure
of some kind.

jcm
--
"I drank WHAT ?!" - Socrates