Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 12:03:00 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Rob writes:

> And the Windows ones are not?

Which version of Windows?  None of the versions descended from MS-DOS has any
real security, nor does any such version pretend to have any security; they are
single-user systems, after all.  Windows NT/2000, on the other hand, has
excellent security, and is designed as a multiuser system.

> Only partly true.  Root is all powerful, but so
> is any member of the WinNT/2k Administrator group.

Not true.  The Administrator group has a certain set of privileges (just about
all privileges, actually, with a handful of exceptions), and so do all other
groups.  It is possible to define any number of groups with any desired set of
privileges.

> How much more granular do you want?

The ability to assign permissions by user is very important.  That is, user A
must be able to read and write, user B must be able to execute only, and so on.

> By whom?

By everyone who needs real security.

> What is it's replacement?

Windows NT provides much better security.

> If you are referring to MVS (IIRC this was brought
> up earlier in this thread) ...

No.  I was referring to Multics, one of the most secure operating systems ever
designed, and a direct ancestor of UNIX (in fact, UNIX is a play on words, as
UNIX was a simplified implementation of many Multics-like principles).

Multics had extraordinary security, not only for its time, but even for the
present day.  It was far more secure than Windows NT, for example, and Windows
NT is far more secure than UNIX.  (And UNIX in turn is far more secure than
MS-DOS or single-user Windows systems, or the Mac.)