Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2008 22:36:38 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj@hcl-club.lu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: massive ports update

On 2008-06-06, Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml@t-b-o-h.net> wrote:
> In UPDATING it says :
>
>   Given the scope and sheer number of dependent ports, it may be more
>   advisable to simply blow away all existing install ports (after
>   keeping any local configuration changes), and rebuilding from scratch.
>

> 	I'm wondering just how many ports the author of that statement
> has. I have a few to say the least. Actually a few hundred. Ok, well,
> 1102 to be a bit more specific.... Blow away and re-install 1102 ports?
> For real?

That's not uncommon. For example when you go from one major FreeBSD version to
another you have to rebuild everything most of the time because of ABI changes.
Of course you could also wait for the building cluster to catch up and do a
binary upgrade (-P in portupgrade).

Jona

--
Pond-erosa Puff wouldn't take no guff