Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:04:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>, re@freebsd.org, Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Subject:   Bluetooth code

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Murray Stokely wrote:

> Thanks also for taking the time to work with the submitter and get
> this integrated.  Please be more patient in the future, though.  In
> addition to talking over the technical issues and sorting out the best
> place to do the import, please think about what needs to be
> documented, who is going to document it, etc.

The commit includes quite a few man pages.

> To move forward on this, can you post a message to arch@ about your
> intentions, hardware this has been tested with, and a link to the
> latest snapshot?  The submitter's earlier posts to net@ didn't seem to
> get much response (except from you), and so a targeted call for
> review from arch@ is needed.  In the mean time, re@ can try to figure
> out where we stand with DP2, and when we should import this.

Several people have tested it on a variety of devices..
I have asked them to send me exact info.
In the meanwhile we need more testers and as I see it, the best way to
do this is to make the code easily available to users.

The code is completely self contained so can not break anything.
Especially as it is not compiled by default. You need to cgo compile it
specially and then load the modules before you face any danger and even
then it seem sto work....

The current patch is at:
http://www.geocities.com/m_evmenkin/ngbt-commit-2002-11-05.tar.gz Though
some slight Makefile changes will happen by the time of a commit.
Specifically, the Makefiles for the modules are in
sys/netgraph/bluetooth at the moment but will be in
/modules/netgraph/bluetooth at commit and the man pages are also
presently in the source but would be committed in the correct place.
These, and the Makefiles are currently where they are to allow testers
to unpack test, and delete everything in one place, and I don't consider
changing their location as being relevent for a discussion of whether to
commit.

I'm impressed by the completeness of the code and
the fact that documentation is included. I'd like to see
it committed before DP2 so that others can try it.
This would be needed before we can claim that 5.0 has
bluetooth support, which would be nice for the specs.

The driver for the 3com card would not be immediatly committed as we are
still in discussion with 3com regarding the ability to distribute
a binary of the firmware with the driver.

julian