Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        kirk@strauser.com (Kirk Strauser)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nslookup

> At 2004-04-15T13:58:52Z, "Shaun T. Erickson" <ste@smxy.org> writes:
>
> > nslookup?
>
> Don't use nslookup.  It's a Bad Thing.

I haven't heard that there is any specific evil involved, just that
somewhere in the high court of those who pass judgement on such things,
it has been decided to phase out nslookup in favor of new utilities.

Actually, I am a little sorry because nslookup puts out a nice
basic piece of information and is easy to use.  dig seems to fill
the screen with stuff I have to squint at and visually sort through
to find the tidbit of information I want.   Probably some more use
of arguments might narrow stuff down a little, I suppose, but...

Also, nslookup let me start it up and do some checks using my primary DBS
and then set server to something and stay that way while I did a bunch of
checking and then set it to another server to do some more checking, all
without having to re-enter the command line stuff.

That is handy.

I notice some desirable features of dig too, but I liked that simple
convenience in nslookup.

////jerry