Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 23:57:17 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From:      Chen Xu <xu@stentor.bu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "boot: -c" did not work for me

Hi All,

I have FreeBSD2.2.7 and XFee86 3.3.2 installed my PC. Everything
works fine.

However, I am having a problem when I tried to configure the kernel
using -c at boot: prompt. I was trying to enable the iso3 becasue
my modem sits in COM4. But after enable the iso3, with this only
new change, the booting could not complete. Giving some error
message as below, the system just reboot itself using original
setting as default kernel configuration.

At the end of the booting message there are these new lines.
***
fault virtual address	=0x44
fault code		=supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	=0x8: 0xf02083ca
stack pointer		=0x10: 0xefbfff7c
Frame pointer		=0x10: 0xebfff80
code segment		=base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			=DPLO, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor efalgs	=interrup enables, resume, IOPL=0
current process 	=0()
interrupt mask		=net tty bio cam
panic; page fault
****

Could any give me advice what's going on and how to fix the
problem. Or you can point me a right site where I can find the
info.

Thanks alot in advance.
Chen