Date:      Sat, 08 May 1999 18:29:56 -0400
From:      James Kalmadge <kalmadg@banet.net>
To:        Brian Bell <brianb@strategywon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Infrequent but nasty problem

Brian,
	If I can chime in with my 2c worth . .
I recently built a bum kernel which crashed and
left the machine in a state which even the old
kernel wouldn't run in.  I began to believe that I had
irrevocably hosed my disk.  However, I was able to
fix it by booting off the cdrom, going to fixit with disk #2
and using fsck a couple times and then mounting
the disk partitions in /dev/mnt2 on new directories
I made in /tmp. (mkdir /tmp/root, etc).

I poked around the disks for a while.
They seemed good.
So I rebooted and it was okay.

This happened twice.
It doesn't sound like it would be better than using the
old kernel as Doug White suggested, but I don't expect
computers to be logical all of the time :-)

James