Date:      Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:28:46 +0100
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Today's Work

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 10:58 -0800, Murray Stokely wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:34:42PM +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> > I'm through for the day. The following has been done in my Perforce
> > branch (and a full build is running so that it will be available at
> > http://dragonfly.the-bofh.org/~dodell/en/index.html)
> >

> Hi Devon, this looks much better.  It is quite nice.  I think the
> layout is a strong improvement, and the CSS drop downs are exactly as
> I was thinking.
>
> >  o	Removed the left navigation column and put
> > 	contents in a `dropdown' menu up top. This
> > 	menu could be fixed up to look a bit nicer...
> > 	Ideas?
>
> I get a little jitter when I use the dropdown menu with Opera on
> FreeBSD.

There are still a couple issues with the dropdown menus as people have
plainly shown (on and off list). These are still a WIP.

> >  o	Moved news and press to the bottom of the
> > 	main content. The main content could use a
> > 	change.
> >
> >  o	Moved icons under left bar; they look better
> > 	there IMO.
>
> Yes they do look better there.

Is it feasible to get rid of some of them, though? Do you guys at
FreeBSD Mall have an updated logo?

> >  o	Stylized the footer.
>
> This looks great.
>
> >  o	Made two separate color themes for the site.
> > 	More themes can be made styling the site in
> > 	pretty much any way imaginable.
>
> I like the logo on the second level pages, such as :
>
> http://dragonfly.the-bofh.org/~dodell/en/docs.html
>
> It looks nice because the logo is integrated with the top navigation
> bar.

I agree. Again, I think we'll have to wait for the logo contest to
finish before we can put anything definitive there. I hope it's not
something that we have to design around/

> On the front page, there is still too much open space in the upper
> left around the logo.  It seems juxtaposed by the navigation bar
> instead of integrated.  Maybe if the logo were somehow connected to
> the top navigation bar then it would look a little better in my
> opinion.

I'll see what I can do to make this more fluid. Chris, this logo / bar
combination is your work, do you have any ideas?

> > I expected this version to cut down on page size a bit, but it hasn't as
> > much as I had hoped. The page is only 3K smaller at the moment, and the
> > stylesheet adds an extra 4K. It should be possible to remove some
> > unnecessary things and save a bit of bandwidth as well :)
>
> Keep up the good work.  This is my favorite mock up that I have seen
> so far.  Even if others think we must stick with a red/orange theme,
> your layout work would be a nice improvement.
>
> 	- Murray

Well, I really want to stress that while I've done the cleaning up, the
colors and the logo (and pretty much the whole idea re: the design) is
from Chris. Any differences have been minor tweaks.

The great thing about the CSS now is that if there are color
preferences, these are easily implemented.

--Devon