Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 15:11:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        jim@corp.au.triax.com
Cc:        eT@KryptoKom.DE, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's in a name?

Jim Mock said:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 at 11:57:44 +0100, eT wrote:
> > you know, this whole lin*x thing has me baffled.  ... i am
> > wondering why linux has a larger user/suport base in the first
> > place?
>
> Plain and simple.. publicity.  Linux is what's talked about in the
> news.  Alot of people don't even know they have any other options.
> Blame it on the media.. it seems they like to call all free unices
> "Linux".

"Blame it on the media?"  Nope, it is a problem with exposure, and
the media being as "lazy"* as it is, they do need to be schmoozed and
spoon-fed.  Part of PR is being part of the "network".

* By "lazy" I mean will not dig deep, if on the surface the info looks
complete.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid