Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:15:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Caleb Land <bokonon@rochester.rr.com>
To:        Jeremy Scheer <jeremy@mecca.servint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Western Digital Drives...

Hello,
	I have experienced similar problems trying to install freeBSD on
my drive (WD 6GB).  I would set everything up correctly, and then it would
complain about making the slices.  What I did to get around it (which
might not be an option for you) is to lowlevel format the drive, and
install freebsd on it first (before, I was trying to install freebsd on it
with linux on the first partition).  I am not sure if the numbers were
changing like that, but I do know that in my case for some unknown reason,
freebsd had to be the first OS put on a clean drive (now BeOS lives on a
small second partition).

I think linux might have mangled something with the H/C/S setting, though
I'm not an expert on such things, so I don't want to blame anyone for
something that they couldn't have done.  I believe that they (linux and
fbsd) are incompatible because when I run linux fdisk on the freebsd
drive, it complains about the drive having the wrong settings.

I just noticed that I mixed up the use of ``slice'' and ``partition,''
switch them in the above post.

Sincerely,
Caleb Land
(bokonon@rochester.rr.com)