Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:06:01 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org, Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

--2iBwrppp/7QCDedR

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:43:23AM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
> [ cc's trimmed to sane level, followups to -qa please ]
>=20
> On 12-Mar-01 Larry Rosenman wrote:
> >=20
> > ftp://ftp.lerctr.org/freebsd/makeworld-fw.out.gz
> >=20
> > Enjoy.
>=20
> It looks like strip is linked against /usr/lib/libc.a.

Well, that does look like the problem here.  gcc isn't producing bad
code (and after the revelation that the opcode in question was for a
pentium pro, it basically ruled out that possibility because lots of
people build on pentiums, whereas a small enough number build on 486es
that it could conceivably have gone unnoticed).

If we can't get this fixed by release, it will have to be documented
in the release notes that cross-building is broken.

Kris

--2iBwrppp/7QCDedR

--2iBwrppp/7QCDedR--