Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:29:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the load address of the kernel?

Robert Nordier wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > We do need a more capable netboot replacement, and if Lanworks is
 > as responsive as they appear to be, then supporting their product
 > may be an easy route to satisfying this requirement.

They are.  They support only DOS and Windows "officially", but
they have a UNIX person which answers to technical questions
quite fast.  They also send free (!) evaluation packages upon
request.  I ordered one, and it arrived two days later by UPS
express (from Canada to Germany).

BTW, Linux supports the Lanworks boot ROMs.

It would be nice to have FreeBSD support for those ROMs, too,
in one way or another.  Even if we had a working netboot code,
many people aren't able to make their own EPROMs.  Especially
those QPGA/FPGA (?) Flash memories required for many PCI cards
(like the EtherExpress Pro/100) aren't easy to make on your
own.

Therefore people have to buy ready-made solutions, and it would
be nice to be able to point at such a product and say "take
this one, it works with FreeBSD".

 > It might be a reasonable solution to make something like this
 > available as a port; after all, the boot blocks are *expected* to
 > be somewhat out of sync with kernel development.
 >
 > Though I'd quite like to see it working with the new boot1/boot2
 > and boot/loader code, in some form, now that Oliver has shown the
 > way.
 >
 > > Anyway, if someone needs some code to boot his/her FreeBSD box
 > > with a Lanworks ROM, I've put the "ramboot" stuff on the web:
 > > http://dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de/~olli/ramboot.tar.gz
 >
 > Thanks.  I've just fetched a copy.

You're welcome.  If people are really interested in this, I can
create some documentation with step-by-step instructions (how
to set up bootp and tftp servers, build the kernel, create the
tftpboot image, etc.).

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany