Date:      01 Jan 2003 12:14:24 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0-RC2 informal PR: X hangups using radeon driver

I downloaded a 5.0-RC2 ISO, checked the MD5 against a different mirror's
MD5, burned a CD, diff'ed the CD against the ISO, and installed the OS.
My first try using the full-GUI X installer failed gracefully (I forget
the details).  The other two X installers didn't offer to support my
video card, so I tried the full-GUI one again.  It offered something
called "ati".  I'm not sure why it said "ati" rather than what my old
XF86Config used "radeon", but it seemed close enough.  IIRC, it wasn't
and I copied over my old XF86Config.  Starting X several times after
reboots, it would hang up after 30-120 (?) seconds of use.  Sometimes
ctrl-alt-bs would kill X and sometimes it would require a hard reboot.

I did "portupgrade -R XFree86" (after installing my old make.conf which
has "CFLAGS= -O -pipe" and "CPUTYPE=k6-2") and still had the problem.

I then did a source cvsup (tag=".") and rebuilt world and kernel using
well-tested steps.  X has not since hung up in about two days (several
hours of activity).

CPU : AMD K6-2 500MHz with 128 MB RAM.
Video : Hightech Information Systems' "Excalibur" (Radeon 7000 with TV-OUT)

FreeBSD boot msg: pci1: <ATI model 5159 graphics accelerator> at 0.0
XFree86 4.2.0 says: ATI Radeon VE QY rev 0 (AGP); framebuffer bpp 32;
    ChipID = 0x5159; VideoRAM=65536kB; 64-bit DDR SDRAM

I have a free partition to do some debugging if there's something I can
do in a few hours.  I'm no C hacker, but am willing to mess with a
debugger a bit.  I know how to set up for crash dumps, but that's
probably not much help here.  Maybe the fact that it works after a cvsup
means -RC3 will not hang up, but that's just guessing; maybe my
"CPUTYPE=K6-2" fixed it.